CHRISTMAS POEM: 'NO ROOM'




NO ROOM

“No room for Him,” the keeper said
That night so long ago,
“My inn is crowded, don’t you see,
The rooms now overflow.”

It’s just a Child,” he must have thought,
A family, poor and plain:
My inn is filled with paying guests.
How could I dare explain?”

And thus, he turned aside from One
Who chose a humble birth
To enter into human form
And save all men on earth.

But lo, the shepherds in the hills
Were called, the Babe to greet;
They followed then the brilliant star
And worshipped at His feet!

“No room for Him,” cry men today,
As through the world they plod;
“My life is crowded, don’t you see?
I have no room for God.

How could I dare explain to all
My friends who question me,
That Jesus came to save my soul
From sin, to set me free?"

O God, forbid that we become
As keepers of the inn,
And have our lives so crowded
That we have no room for Him.

But now may we, Thy children dear,
Unworthy though we are,
Become as shepherds long ago,
And follow now His star!

Kathryn Slasor





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello. I'm trying to get in touch with Kathryn Slasor about this poem "No Room." I'd like to set it to music. If anyone knows how to contact her, please post a note here. I will keep checking back periodically. Thank you. David D.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas poems
Greetings.net

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the poem, but I would like to mention that it was the wisemen who followed the star to Bethlehem, not the shepherds.

After the angels disappeared from them, "The shepherds said to one another, Let us go even unto Bethlehem to see this thing which has come to pass and which has been told to us by the angels." So they hurried to Bethlehem and worshiped Him.

scarfacesix said...

Corr,the angel
angel beckoned the shepherds to the City of David. However, the wise men traveled far, met with Herod, then continued their journey to Nazareth to present their gifts in the young Jesus's house in Nazareth.

Blog Archive